SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: My son stuck in High Beta  (Read 723 times)

Offline lorettadailey

My son stuck in High Beta
« on: January 27, 2017, 09:08:03 AM »
My son was sexually abused as a little child.  I have just recently found this out.  Because of this, he lives in the fight or flight mode and has been stuck in High Beta for years and years.  The book Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself describes him perfectly.  He has a very hard time meditating, in fact, gets angry after one minute or less.  How can I help him switch gears in his brain?

Offline Calispera

• Changing oneself to change the World
Re: My son stuck in High Beta
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 03:08:15 PM »
Maybe he could try EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique - there is lots of information on it on the web). Or if it is really too difficult, EMDR, a very efficient therapy to heal from trauma, could help him a lot. He'll see then if there is an improvement with meditating.

But I have a question : does he want himself to meditate, or are you asking him to meditate?
Also, you don't tell his age, I don't know if he is still a child, or a teenager, or an adult.

If he is a child, and get angry after one minute, I simply wouldn't ask him to meditate. If he is an adult, he maybe should try to find himself the way to meditate.