SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Meditation - How often and how long  (Read 156 times)

Offline rx2

Meditation - How often and how long
« on: November 13, 2017, 07:23:50 PM »
Hi -

I recently read "You are the placebo", and decided to purchase the single belief / perception meditation that is mentioned in the book. Great meditation, and I have felt my energies lift because of it.

I have a couple of general questions though, which I can't see is answered in the book. How often are you supposed to undertake the meditation for optimal benefit; is it daily, weekly? ... and my second question is, How long do you continue with the meditation practice for optimal benefit? is is daily for 1 month?

I have made a commitment to practice the meditation daily for a month.... but looking to gauge what Dr Joe generally recommends to his students?

Thanks,

Robert

Offline Calispera

• Changing oneself to change the World
Re: Meditation - How often and how long
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 02:09:46 AM »
It seems that meditation and personal development is a life long process that has to be practiced everyday.

I would compare it to stopping the cigarette. If you consider to stop one day in the week, and to smoke the other days; or if you consider to stop for one month, and then restart as before; you won't get any long term effect.

That doesn't mean that if you begin to meditate with what Joe Dispenza is proposing, that you would be bounded to use those meditations the rest of your life. More you will medidate, more you will find the right things to do by yourself.

This is only my opinion, maybe others don't share it.

And at the same time, the decision to meditate everyday remains for some people (like me for instance) impossible or difficult for years. I've taken more than 10 years to achieve the step of meditating everyday. And even, I don't feel comitted to do it for the rest of my life, but more I do it, more it seem probable that I'll do it so.

So, at the beginning, be indulgent with yourself, be patient. Some people succeed to integrate meditation in their life on a daily basis from the start. For other it takes time. But each try will help to achieve it on the long term. Meditation is not something that has to be done in hurry. It's not a medication, neither a therapy, it's a way to change totally our manner to consider life. It's like marriage, you have to get acquainted with it, like with a partner, and you don't move in with the person the day you meet her/him.

Offline Larry

• Massage Therapy
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:52:38 AM »
This is great advice!

Certainly the commitment is important, some days your body will say "not today". That is a time when you decide who is in charge. I found that writing 1 or 2 sentences in a journal everyday gives me a baseline and a way to remember how my meditation felt and how my day felt. I frequently look at my journals of the past to see "where I was".
may I be the softness I'd like to see in the world

Offline MissUK

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 08:20:21 AM »
I'm so glad this has come up :)

I have recently finished reading Breaking the Habit and have been meditating every morning for a month now. I started doing this a couple of years ago, but a lot of emotions surfaced that I felt I could not handle, so I got scared and stopped!

I'm happy I have restarted, but quite often I now feel like I would really rather not do it. I have become impatient with myself (expecting miracles) and very demotivated, so this is where I need to 'break the habit' and be greater than my old self. I am happy to commit to meditating everyday, however I only do 20 - 30 minutes depending on my day, as I feel setting a goal to do long spells might put me off initially.

:)

Offline Larry

• Massage Therapy
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 10:43:06 AM »
Everyone feels discouraged at times. When I feel that way I:

Watch a short video of Dr Joe

Watch a testimonial on Youtube

Switch to a different meditation

Remember how much better I felt after the meditation

read some research on meditation benefits

Just know that we are the bringers of the new consciousness on this earth-We absolutely make a difference every time we come back to the present moment!

L

Offline rx2

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 09:33:46 PM »
Thank you everyone for your replies.

I probably didn't articulate to well the original intent of my question. In terms of background, I have been meditating daily for the last two years. Predominantly, a mindfulness based practice. I love it, and have found great benefits from doing it. It was only recently I ran into Dr Joe, and his book You are the Placebo, and was intrigued by his meditation practice that he described in his book. On so with this interest, I thought I would give it a try.

I chose a perception / belief I wanted to changed, and have replaced my morning meditation with Dr Joe's 50 minute mediation from You are the Placebo. I have been doing this daily since the start of November. I felt some powerful energies rise-up in the first week, and I still feel benefits continue to manifest.

When I asked my original question, in terms of how often and long, I meant it in particular reference to this 50 minute meditation technique described in his book 'you are the placebo'. I was curious as to whether he recommended a daily/alternate days/weekly practice using this technique?... or whether he had any other tips in using it practically.

I have sense there is no answer to this, and for everyone it will be different; but thought I would ask just in case there is some data to help. At the moment I am doing it daily in replacement of my prior meditation practice.... I have a feeling that I will know when it is time to change.....

Offline Larry

• Massage Therapy
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 07:45:33 AM »
Dr Joe has said in a teleclass when you start to predict all the words he will say and your mind keeps getting distracted then it is definitely time to change meditations. Also to periodically throughout your day when you realize you are not present take a few minutes of quiet time to recall some of the wonderful feelings you experienced during your meditation and bring yourself back.

But I have never heard him advise a set schedule of changing or alternating... but he has said to make sure you allow a block of time for your meditation so you do not feel the urge to stop and go to your daily routine.

Offline rx2

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 10:53:31 PM »
Dr Joe has said in a teleclass when you start to predict all the words he will say and your mind keeps getting distracted then it is definitely time to change meditations. Also to periodically throughout your day when you realize you are not present take a few minutes of quiet time to recall some of the wonderful feelings you experienced during your meditation and bring yourself back.

But I have never heard him advise a set schedule of changing or alternating... but he has said to make sure you allow a block of time for your meditation so you do not feel the urge to stop and go to your daily routine.

Awesome - thank you Larry.