SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Difficulties during meditation  (Read 190 times)

Offline plop

• View Profile
Difficulties during meditation
« on: April 21, 2017, 02:39:43 AM »
Hi everybody,

I read the books "breaking the habits..." and "evolve your brain", and I'll attend to a progressive seminar in few months. I try to meditate with the morning/evening cd (since 6months), but I have some issues with that :

- I don't know how to be really focus : I always hear every noise around me, and it distracts me. And then I feel like I am not really in my meditation. Last year I did an another seminar with practical visualization, and I heard everybody around me, it was impossible for me to do the exercices. I was very frustrated. That's why for my first seminar with Dr Joe, I want to be at my best!  :)

- I don't know how to visualize : I'm always asking me if I am doing good, I know that i analyze myself too much and I know that I am in beta, but I don't know how to stop it. When I try to be more relaxed, at the end it's more like  I am listening to a music, not like a meditation.

Thanks for the help!

Offline Smitsu

• View Profile
Re: Difficulties during meditation
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 12:57:26 PM »
To be good at something tales a lot of time, experience, with ups and downs.
To learn to play a musical instrument halfway decent takes about 10,000 hours.
To master the art of meditation takes a lifetime. You are just starting out, so, be kind
to yourself. If you are easily distracted by external stimuli while meditating, then
ask yourself this question and be honest with yourself; Why am I doing this now, perhaps
I would rather be doing something else, am I doing this because I wan't to or am I doing this
because I have to. If the answer is the latter, then do something else instead.
Mediation requires one to be honest, trusting, relaxed, present, focused, enthralled, patient, intentional and willing.

You wrote; "That's why for my first seminar with Dr Joe, I want to be at my best!"

This is not a competition. During the seminar all is required of you is to participate to the best of your ability.
So that you may learn something to take home with you for the good money you spent getting it.
To properly visualize something also takes time. You are training a new neural net in your brain to do it.
It would help you, if you first draw on a peace of paper ahead of time what it is you wan't to visualize.
Then, during meditation simply remember what you drew, instead of forcing it. Have background music playing
to cut out the noise outside and or wear headphones, plugs. Darken the room you're in and or cover your eyes
to cut out the light. Good luck.

Offline plop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 02:44:57 PM »
Thanks for your response!

I know that it takes time, I don't have a problem with that. But for me, it's like learning a new skill : if someone show you how to do it, it'll be more easier. For now, I have the impression to try something without knowing exactly what I'm suppose to do. It's like I'm reinventing the wheel. I feel that I'm losing a lot of time with basic and silly things.

When I start a meditation I really want to do it. I have this "problem" with noise, I don't like it for everything I do (reading, concentrate, sleeping...). I am an introvert, we have the tendency to prefer quiet places...
That's why I hope it won't be difficult for me in the seminar. Everybody said that it's a great energy that help, I hope that my perception of the noises of everybody won't stop me!

For the rest... YES, I want to be at my best. Not like a competition, just the best version of me. That's why we all are here, isn't it?

Offline Charlotte4711

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 03:36:21 PM »
I know exactly how you feel ... even through headphones I hear cars driving by my house! So far my last two meditations have been disturbed by my son who randomly woke at 5:40am & came to find me (I literally jumped out my skin) & secondly the cat (who I thought I'd put out) came and jumped on me!!! Again.. almost had an MI!!! It's almost as though I'm being tested as to my commitment!!!
I think I need to relax more ... find the best place which is incidentally NOT in the lounge where the cats reside & kids can find me!!! I can't do anything about the traffic though... or air traffic (we have air ambulance fly over above our house) :(
Just keep trying... you'll get there... you need to keep trying to 'fire n wire' & it will get easier! :) x